Monday, January 20, 2014

Day 7: We'll Be Coming Down the Mountain When We Come

Today's stats: Mweka Camp (3080 m) – Mweka Gate (1630 m)

We awoke to sun coming through trees with leaves. And so much oxygen.

It was a leisurely day, full of trees with vines and moss and singing birds and higher spirits. It was a slow (but kind of hurried) descent through the rainforest back to civilization. There isn't much to say about this day, except that we were slowly beginning to feel like ourselves again.

On the way down we found two troops of colobus monkeys up in the treetops. I walked with Nico for part of the way and asked him his favorite part of the trek. He said he liked the last day, because he was on his way back to his family and a hot shower. I laughed and agreed.

When we started to see locals gathering wood from the forest on either side of the trail, my heart jumped because I knew we were close. When we made it to the parking lot and were reunited with our porters, I immediately switched into my Chacos to expose my poor blistered heels to some air. We met our UW friends at the sign in book and chatted with them for the last time before they got ready to fly home. They wished us luck with the rest of service.

We drove back to the hotel, and I took the most glorious shower of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment